What we’re looking for:
- critical pieces on topical issues, both local and international
- self-reflective pieces/memoirs that simultaneously explore wider narratives
- fresh topics aching to be told to Verity La readers
- experimental, hybrid and lyric narratives that stylistically accord to subject matter
- traditional critical or narrative essays (on/with a compelling topic/twist)
- sharp, contemporary, engaging writing
- global perspectives
- up to 5000 words
For examples of work published on Rogue State, visit our Vault.
Submissions accepted during the months of February and August via Submittable. Pitches accepted all year round at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editor: Kathryn Hummel
Dr Kathryn Hummelis the author of Poems from Here (Hobart: Walleah Press), The Bangalore Set (Bangalore: Kena Artists’ Initiative), The Body That Holds Adelaide: Little Windows Press), splashback (Sydney: Stale Objects dePress) and the forthcoming Lamentville (Singapore: Math Paper Press). Uncollected, her digital media/poetry, non-fiction, fiction and scholarly research has been published and presented worldwide. Winner of the Melbourne Lord Mayor’s Dorothy Porter Award for poetry (2013), Kathryn’s writing has been nominated for the Pushcart Prize (2013), The Atlas Review’s Open Non-Fiction Chapbook competition (2016) and was shortlisted for the 2017 Neilma Sidney Short Story Prize. Kathryn holds a PhD for studies in narrative ethnography and lives intermittently in South Asia. Her activities can be tracked @ kathrynhummel.com.